Current UWP Employee?
Login here to view current openings and apply.
View your details, update your application progress.
Medical Office Assistant
Job no: 497868
Work type: University Staff - Ongoing
Categories: Health/Counseling Services, Office and Administrative
Student Health Services at UW Platteville requests applications for Medical Office Assistant. This position will serve as the principle front desk individual for the Student Health Services clinic. The Medical Office Assistant provides day-to-day operational support to medical work unit personnel, prepares documents for patient admissions and appointments, greets patients, schedules appointments, maintains calendars, schedules tests, and makes referrals according to instructions. This position will also receive, submit, and respond to inquiries according to established policies and procedures.
This is a full-time position during the academic year (August through May with summers off!) offering generous paid leave and benefit packages. Wage range for this position is $14.50-$16.00 and will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- Contributes to health care delivery by coordinating the operation of the patient receiving area for Student Health Services utilizing electronic medical records system.
- Opens front desk schedulers daily and checks and processes phone and email messages left overnight.
- Prepares billing cards and labeling for providers checking Forward Health status as appropriate for the following clinic day. Files completed billing cards. Purges cards for students who have graduated and maintains storage appropriately.
- Receives inquiries from patients as they enter the health care system for SHS whether in person or by telephone as they identify specific needs or requests, answers questions, schedules appointments appropriately or refers to medical staff using standard protocol of SHS system while being sensitive to clients who may be seeking more emergent attention.
- Develops, inputs, continually monitors, and makes changes to SHS provider and clinic staff for monthly, weekly and daily schedule assigning provider and staff coverage for each day of the week into EMR communicating appropriately with staff.
- Assists with TB skin testing by communicating to staff, faculty and students’ information regarding testing schedules and procedures.
- Works closely with provider staff and clients in scheduling outside and referral appointments, lab/x-ray, and procedures ordered by SHS providers. May assist Medical Program Assistant as needed with obtaining Prior Authorizations from insurance companies for clients.
- Closes front receiving area according to protocol at the completion of each workday including closing cash register daily and balancing out with Auxiliary Accounting at the end of each week.
- Maintains current CPR certification.
- Attends conferences and workshops as appropriate.
- Always maintains confidentiality.
- Supports goals and objectives of Student Health Services.
- Embraces and supports diversity as a part of the educational process. Acknowledges and respects the differences that race, culture, sexual orientation, age and gender bring to society and how that impacts on delivery of health and mental health care.
- This position may involve minimal work expectations outside of normal UW-Platteville office hours, e.g., night hours, weekend commitments, travel out of town, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
What You’ll Need to Succeed:
High School Diploma
Basic Life Support (BLS) certification
Ability to multitask, especially with multi-line phone use and flexibility to rapid scheduling changes.
Proficiency in Microsoft Office
Excellent verbal and written communication
Professional and compassionate interpersonal skills for working with students and the entire campus community.
Why It’s Great to be a Pioneer:
We are passionate about delivering outstanding healthcare for our students! https://www.uwplatt.edu/department/student-health-services
The University of Wisconsin-Platteville, founded in 1866, offers 47 baccalaureate and 10 master's programs. It possesses institutional strengths in middle level education, engineering, industrial technology, agriculture, criminal justice and business. The campus is located in Southwest Wisconsin's largest and most historic community. The region offers excellent school systems, high quality medical and hospital facilities, outstanding recreational opportunities, and vibrant businesses and industries. UW-Platteville is a cultural and educational center for the Tri-State region of Illinois, Iowa and Wisconsin.
Take a virtual tour of our campus!
Applications must be submitted through our online applicant portal, applications due by September 26, 2022. Applications will be accepted until the position has been filled.
How to Apply:
The following documents are required for applicant consideration:
- Letter of application addressing all required qualifications
- A current resume
- Contact information (name, telephone number, and email address) for 3 professional references.
- A copy of BLS certification
- Additional documents as needed
For questions regarding this position, please contact:
Rachel Herman MS RN APNP, Administrative Director:
We Support Diversity and Inclusion:
Our mission is to foster a diverse environment that contributes to an inclusive culture and climate by promoting critical discourse and meaningful interactions between all members of our campus community.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
The University of Wisconsin-Platteville is committed to recruiting, supporting and fostering a diverse, inclusive and civil community of outstanding faculty, staff and students, and is an AA/EEO Employer. A criminal background check is required for employment. Applicants must be legally entitled to work in the U.S. at time of hire.
Employment will require a criminal background check. It will also require you and your references to answer questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment.
Advertised: Central Daylight Time
Applications close: Central Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend
Powered by PageUp
The University of Wisconsin-Platteville is committed to recruiting, supporting and fostering a diverse,
inclusive and civil community of outstanding faculty, staff and students, and is an AA/EEO Employer. A
criminal background check is required for employment. Applicants must be legally entitled to work in the U.S.
at time of hire.
It is the policy of the University of Wisconsin-Platteville to provide equal employment opportunity to all
individuals regardless of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, ancestry,
disability, marital status, pregnancy, political affiliation, arrest or conviction record, identity as a
veteran, disabled veteran, Vietnam era veteran, membership in the national guard, state defense force or any
other reserve component of the military forces of the United States or this state. Sexual harassment is
illegal and will not be tolerated. Co-workers and supervisors may not retaliate against any employee, student,
or job applicant because he or she filed a complaint, assisted in an investigation or participated in any
proceeding alleging discrimination on the foregoing basis.
The University ensures physical accessibility to work environments for persons with disabilities and will
provided reasonable accommodations to ensure equal access to employment. Upon request, the University will
provide reasonable accommodations for religious observances and practices. The University is committed to a
program of affirmative action for women, racial minorities, persons with disabilities, disabled veterans and
veterans of the Vietnam era. While the Chancellor assumes overall responsibility for the success of the
program, university administrators and supervisors are responsible and accountable for implementation.
Authority for monitoring the program is delegated to Human Resources.
Each individual associated with the University is called upon to pledge a new and revitalized commitment to
build and maintain a campus environment free of harassment and discrimination, an environment that fosters
mutual respect, recognizes the dignity and worth of all people, and promotes to the fullest, equal employment
opportunity through affirmative action.
In compliance with the Clery Act of 1998, the University of Wisconsin-Platteville Annual Security & Annual Fire Safety Report is available
for review. Call the UW-Platteville Campus Police Office at 608.342.1584 for a
paper copy of the annual report.
The University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality
in writing, except that the identity of the successful candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. §. 19.36(7).
Labor Law Poster – English
Labor Law Poster – Spanish
Families First Coronavirus Response Act Update