Job no: 498304
Work type: Academic Staff - 12 Month Renewable
Categories: Office and Administrative
The College of Engineering, Mathematics, and Science at UW Platteville seeks a dedicated Lab Manager with formal training or experience in electrical/electronic system, including low & high voltage applications and instrumentation, to join our team. We welcome candidates with diverse backgrounds and perspectives who share our passion for education and research. This is a unique opportunity to work closely with faculty and students in a dynamic and exciting environment.
This is a full time, benefit, and paid leave eligible position. Salary for this position is $60,000.
- Laboratory Management:
- Perform electrical and mechanical repairs to laboratory equipment as needed
- Complete routine maintenance and calibration in the laboratories to support experimental teaching and research work
- Purchase laboratory consumables and equipment parts
- Oversee purchasing, maintenance, calibration, testing, storage, and cleaning of equipment
- Maintain documentation of the equipment and inventory
- User Support:
- Provide training on equipment usage and safety instructions to new and visiting students and researchers
- Answer questions and provide technical information regarding instrumentation to staff, researchers, clients, and students
- Communicate with instructors and provide support for classes
- Identify, propose, and implement new or revised unit operational policies and procedures in alignment with strategic initiatives and objectives
- Serve as the unit liaison to internal and external stakeholder groups providing information, making recommendations to leadership, and representing the interests of the unit
- Direct and supervise the day-to-day laboratory operations, quality control programs, and/or staff of a work unit to ensure compliance with organization and regulatory agency standards
- Monitor program budgets and expenditures
- May exercise supervisory authority, including hiring, transferring, suspending, promoting, managing conduct and performance, discharging, assigning, rewarding, disciplining, and/or approving hours worked of at least 2.0 FTE or equivalent employees
- Develop and facilitate trainings regarding scientific experimentation, technical procedures, and equipment operations to various audiences
What You’ll Need to Succeed:
- Bachelor's Degree in electrical/electronic systems OR two years' of relevant education or experience in electrical/electronic systems
- Familiarity with mechanical and electrical systems, instrumentation, and laboratory equipment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work cooperatively in a fast-paced environment
- Experience with implementing and maintaining equipment inventories and maintenance schedules
- Desire and ability to work closely with faculty, instructional staff, and students in a customer support role
- Ability to work proactively with minimal supervision
Why It’s Great to be a Pioneer:
The University of Wisconsin-Platteville, founded in 1866, offers 47 baccalaureate and 10 master's programs. It possesses institutional strengths in middle level education, engineering, industrial technology, agriculture, criminal justice and business. The campus is located in Southwest Wisconsin's largest and most historic community. The region offers excellent school systems, high quality medical and hospital facilities, outstanding recreational opportunities, and vibrant businesses and industries. UW-Platteville is a cultural and educational center for the Tri-State region of Illinois, Iowa and Wisconsin.
Take a virtual tour of our campus!
Applications must be submitted through our online applicant portal, applications due by: June 12, 2023. Applications will be accepted until the position has been filled.
How to Apply:
The following documents are required for applicant consideration:
- Letter of application addressing all required qualifications
- A current resume
- Contact information (name, telephone number, and email address) for 3 professional references.
- Additional documents as needed
For questions regarding this position, please contact:
Jessica P.M. Fick, firstname.lastname@example.org
We Support Diversity and Inclusion:
Our mission is to foster a diverse environment that contributes to an inclusive culture and climate by promoting critical discourse and meaningful interactions between all members of our campus community.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
The University of Wisconsin-Platteville is committed to recruiting, supporting and fostering a diverse, inclusive and civil community of outstanding faculty, staff and students, and is an AA/EEO Employer. A criminal background check is required for employment. Applicants must be legally entitled to work in the U.S. at time of hire.
Employment will require a criminal background check. It will also require you and your references to answer questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment.
Advertised: Central Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend