University of Wisconsin-Platteville is excited to invite candidates for the WiSys Prototyping Manager opportunity as part of the Huff Family Innovation Center in the College of Engineering, Mathematics and Science. The WiSys Prototyping Manager oversees multiple projects simultaneously from start to finish impacting the institution at-large. This includes providing project management and engineering support for WiSys prototyping projects through the Huff Family Innovation Center.
This is a full-time, one year project position with a salary of $59,000 - $62,000 per year, commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- Consults with clients to establish service needs.
- Creates a project plan, monitors progress and performance against the project plan, and identifies, resolves, or escalates risks and issues.
- Manages the activities of outside contractors to ensure they are integrated into the project and that the organization receives satisfactory standards of service.
- Facilitates the estimation of project costs, resources, and time required to complete the assigned phase of a project and monitors activities, negotiates for resources, and assigns tasks to ensure these targets are met. Follows established change control processes if targets can no longer be met.
- Prepares regular reports to communicate the status of the project within and beyond the project team.
- Sets priorities, allocates tasks, and collaborates with project staff to meet project targets and milestones.
- Assess the viability of a product or idea and market viability of an idea.
- Provides statements of work, detailed timelines, and budgets.
- Provides support for WiSys activities and events that are of interest to the University such as, but not limited to:
- WiSys Big Idea Tournament qualifier competition
- WiSys Innovation On-Ramp Program
- WiSys Prototype Hackathon
- WiSys VentureHome mentoring/workshops
What You’ll Need to Succeed:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution OR 3-4 year's relevant experience
- Knowledge of and experience with manufacturing, fabrication, and/or prototyping processes
- Experience with or an interest in business consulting and/or marketing/promotion
- Experience in the development and management of programs and/or events.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to work cooperatively in a fast-paced environment.
- Desire and ability to work closely with faculty, instructional staff, and students.
- Attention to detail and project management skills.
Why It’s Great to be a Pioneer:
The University of Wisconsin-Platteville is a hub of innovation and creativity for the tri-state region. With nearly 200 expert faculty and staff in the STEM fields and more than 3,200 STEM students, combined with cutting-edge facilities and equipment, UW-Platteville is the best resource to support budding entrepreneurs throughout the region. Innovation has always been at the core of what we do—in fact, UW-Platteville has the most intellectual property invention disclosures of any University of Wisconsin System comprehensive campus (67 in the past five years!). We are growing this legacy with the opening of Sesquicentennial Hall, which is home to one of the largest makerspaces in the Midwest. Our Prototyping Services help entrepreneurs in rural Wisconsin, Iowa, and Illinois take ideas from paper-napkin sketches to functional prototype to full-fledged manufacturing plans through ideation and innovation with their Entrepreneur Support Team.
The University of Wisconsin-Platteville, founded in 1866, offers 47 baccalaureate and 10 master's programs. It possesses institutional strengths in middle level education, engineering, industrial technology, agriculture, criminal justice and business. The campus is located in Southwest Wisconsin's largest and most historic community. The region offers excellent school systems, high quality medical and hospital facilities, outstanding recreational opportunities, and vibrant businesses and industries. UW-Platteville is a cultural and educational center for the Tri-State region of Illinois, Iowa and Wisconsin.
Take a virtual tour of our campus!
Applications must be submitted through our online applicant portal, and are due by: September 13, 2023. Applications will be accepted until the position has been filled.
How to Apply:
The following documents are required for applicant consideration:
- Letter of application addressing all required qualifications
- A current resume
- Contact information (name, telephone number, and email address) for 3 professional references.
- Additional documents as needed
For questions regarding this position, please contact:
Jessica Fick, 608-342-7128
We Support Diversity and Inclusion:
Our mission is to foster a diverse environment that contributes to an inclusive culture and climate by promoting critical discourse and meaningful interactions between all members of our campus community.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
The University of Wisconsin-Platteville is committed to recruiting, supporting and fostering a diverse, inclusive and civil community of outstanding faculty, staff and students, and is an AA/EEO Employer. A criminal background check is required for employment. Applicants must be legally entitled to work in the U.S. at time of hire.
Employment will require a criminal background check. It will also require you and your references to answer questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment.