Custodian for Academic and Residential Buildings
Job no: 498683
Work type: University Staff - Ongoing
Categories: Facilities, Maintenance
The University of Wisconsin-Platteville seeks a full-time custodian to perform a wide variety of duties. The Custodian provides custodial services in various academic and residential campus buildings. Job duties may include but are not limited to cleaning floors, windows, walls and restrooms; operating cleaning equipment; working with cleaning chemicals; assembling and moving furniture and equipment; communicating with other staff to maintain a clean and safe environment, and supervising student workers. Additional training will be provided on appropriate usage of personal protective equipment (PPE) and high-level cleaning and sanitizing procedures to comply with State of Wisconsin and Center for Disease Control (CDC) guidelines. No experience? That’s okay, we can train you!
This is a full-time, 12-month, position with some work required beyond normal business hours and weekends. Position comes with excellent fringe benefits-medical, dental, paid leave, Wisconsin Retirement System (WRS) retirement benefits, and more! Wage for position starts at $15.00/hour.
- Utilizes basic equipment and supplies to clean assigned facility areas and remove waste and recyclables
- Monitors and secures facility interior and exterior entrances and reports issues to appropriate entities
- Maintains organization and supply areas and equipment, documents inventory, and requests additional supplies as needed
- Documents and reports repairs, violations, and pest control needs
- Maintains clean and clear walkways to ensure they are free of debris, litter, snow, and ice
- Provides custodial services in state operated buildings as directed by the building and grounds supervisor and lead custodian
- Assists with special projects and events
- Maintains the physical appearance of building exteriors and adjacent grounds
What You’ll Need to Succeed:
- H.S. Diploma
- Basic knowledge of custodial duties
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds with or without mechanical assistance
- Excellent communication skills
- Basic computer skills
- Able to read work instructions and schedules, warning labels and instructions for equipment operation
- Able to perform repetitive motion tasks (bending, twisting, etc.)
- Able to use a shovel for snow removal in front of buildings
Why It’s Great to be a Pioneer:
The University of Wisconsin-Platteville, founded in 1866, offers 47 baccalaureate and 10 master's programs. It possesses institutional strengths in middle level education, engineering, industrial technology, agriculture, criminal justice and business. The campus is located in Southwest Wisconsin's largest and most historic community. The region offers excellent school systems, high quality medical and hospital facilities, outstanding recreational opportunities, and vibrant businesses and industries. UW-Platteville is a cultural and educational center for the Tri-State region of Illinois, Iowa and Wisconsin.
Take a virtual tour of our campus!
To be considered, all applicants must apply by March 4, 2024 through our online applicant portal.
We Support Diversity and Inclusion:
Our mission is to foster a diverse environment that contributes to an inclusive culture and climate by promoting critical discourse and meaningful interactions between all members of our campus community.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
The University of Wisconsin-Platteville is committed to recruiting, supporting and fostering a diverse, inclusive and civil community of outstanding faculty, staff and students, and is an AA/EEO Employer. A criminal background check is required for employment. Applicants must be legally entitled to work in the U.S. at time of hire.
Employment will require a criminal background check. It will also require you and your references to answer questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment.
Advertised: Central Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend