Public Relations Specialist
Job no: 498646
Work type: Academic Staff - 12 Month Renewable
Categories: Communication, Arts, Media
The Communications Department at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville is seeking applicants for a Public Relations Specialist. The Public Relations Specialist helps to increase public awareness and raise the profile of the University of Wisconsin-Platteville by identifying, writing, and promoting stories that demonstrate and advance the university’s mission and values. The position will manage media relations, including responding to requests and pitching stories to the media. The Public Relations Specialist will also serve as Deputy Public Information Officer, communicating to both internal and external audiences in times of campus emergencies. Some work may be performed remotely, but position is required to be in the UW-Platteville office at least 60% of time.
This is a full-time, benefit and paid leave eligible position with a salary of $52,000 per year.
- Write press releases and other content that helps promote UW-Platteville and adheres to high standards of professionalism.
- Manage media relations, including responding to media requests; identifying, pitching, and coordinating opportunities for media coverage; disseminating press releases to the media; and fostering good relationships with local and regional media.
- Develop content for various media, including Alumni Today, UW-Platteville’s alumni magazine.
- Post news stories and photos to content management system.
- Provide communications support for university-wide initiatives and events as needed.
- Assist with internal university communications.
- Work collaboratively with the Marketing Department to coordinate efforts to amplify campaigns and branding messages.
- Serve as the Deputy Public Information Officer.
- In the event of an emergency, serve as part of command staff (public information team member) in Incident Command System. Serve as acting PIO if the PIO is not accessible or when PIO is in Emergency Operations Center, coordinate and assign duties to others on the PIO team.
- Assist in drafting and distributing sensitive and urgent messages and statements on behalf of the university.
- Provide backup to the social media manager.
- Assist with pitching and placing content in accordance with established marketing objectives and responding to inquiries.
What You’ll Need to Succeed:
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications, public relations, or related field
- At least 3 years of professional experience in communications or related field
- Demonstrated strong writing, editing, and interviewing skills
- Ability to adhere to brand and editorial style guidelines
- Ability to remain composed and professional in emergency situations and confidentially handle sensitive information
Why It’s Great to be a Pioneer:
The Communications Department promotes the students, faculty, staff and alumni of the University of Wisconsin-Platteville through various media, including press releases, web stories, publications, etc.
The University of Wisconsin-Platteville, founded in 1866, offers 47 baccalaureate and 10 master's programs. It possesses institutional strengths in middle level education, engineering, industrial technology, agriculture, criminal justice and business. The campus is located in Southwest Wisconsin's largest and most historic community. The region offers excellent school systems, high quality medical and hospital facilities, outstanding recreational opportunities, and vibrant businesses and industries. UW-Platteville is a cultural and educational center for the Tri-State region of Illinois, Iowa and Wisconsin.
Take a virtual tour of our campus!
Applications must be submitted through our online applicant portal, applications due by: February 16, 2024. Applications will be accepted until the position has been filled.
How to Apply:
The following documents are required for applicant consideration:
- Letter of application addressing all required qualifications
- A current resume
- Contact information (name, telephone number, and email address) for 3 professional references.
- Three writing samples
We Support Diversity and Inclusion:
Our mission is to foster a diverse environment that contributes to an inclusive culture and climate by promoting critical discourse and meaningful interactions between all members of our campus community.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
The University of Wisconsin-Platteville is committed to recruiting, supporting and fostering a diverse, inclusive and civil community of outstanding faculty, staff and students, and is an AA/EEO Employer. A criminal background check is required for employment. Applicants must be legally entitled to work in the U.S. at time of hire.
Employment will require a criminal background check. It will also require you and your references to answer questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment.
Advertised: Central Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend